I recently had some AMAZING succotash at Bin 33 in Greensboro so I’ve been wanting to try it. Thanks to many pins and boards on Pinterest I think I have found a winner and I’m going to make it for Chad and I tonight. I mean let’s be honest, the name of the site is Deep South Dish, it can’t be bad. Wish me luck, here is the recipe if you are feeling frisky.
- 1/2 pound of frozen baby lima beans
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of chopped ham or smoked turkey,optional
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup of chopped Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 1/4 cup of chopped green bell pepper
- 2 ears of corn
- 1-1/2 cups of sliced fresh or frozen okra
- 1 can of Rotel tomatoes, drained, optional
- 1/2 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper,or to taste
Cook the lima beans according to the package directions; drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, in a large stainless heavy skillet, heat the olive oil on medium. Cook the ham until browned; add the butter to the skillet. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook over medium until softened, about 3 minutes. While that is cooking, cut the corn off of the cob and use the dull edge of the knife to scrape down the milk; set aside.
Add the okra to the onion and bell pepper; cook over medium for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the drained Rotel, corn, and sugar; cook and stir on medium for about 5 minutes. Add the fresh chopped tomato, lima beans and cream, reduce heat to medium low and cook for about 10 minutes or until heated through; stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper; taste and adjust seasonings as needed.